Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hello fellow slimming-down preps! Tammy has graciously agreed to let me post here from time to time, so here I am! I’ll take just a sec to introduce myself, and then I’ll be on with some weight-loss information. I’ve been reading blogs since June and I started my own blog, The Pink Putter, in late July. This blogging world is really a special place and I am proud to be a part of it. Like TammyB and Hicktowndiva, I hope to provide tips, along with my struggles and successes on my quest for a healthier me. Now on to more important things…

I thought that I would begin with some random thoughts/information about my weight loss efforts…

I lost 50 pounds on Weight Watchers back in 2002, and I have gained almost all of it back in the last six years. My mother was diagnosed with cancer, it completely rocked my world and I totally fell off the WW wagon. I am still mad at myself for letting myself undo all of my hard work, and I think that this is part of the reason that I am struggling to lose it again. (Insert a Dr. Phil moment here.)

I’m not following any particular program or diet, I’m just making healthier choices, exercising, and drinking lots of water. I do like The Abs Diet, so I follow many of the principals/healthy ideas from that book.

My husband, Mr. P, is also working the healthier lifestyle with me. This helps enormously!

I’m using the Wii Fit right now for my exercise program, but I also have a treadmill and home gym that I can use. The Wii can give you “attitude” sometimes, which has provided some hilarity in our household as Mr. P and I do it. I love the yoga, hula hooping, and step aerobics.

My job as an assistant principal at a large elementary school keeps me very busy. I work long hours and often eat on the run. So I have to plan, plan, plan. Here are a few tips.

-I cook a couple of entrees on Saturday and Sunday, so that Mr. P and I just have to reheat meals during the week. This saves me $$ on Subway and calories at McDonald’s.

-On Mondays, I take in a large bag of staples for the week-yogurt, string cheese, 100 calorie packs, cans of V-8, some ham or turkey, and a couple of Lean Cuisines. This covers most of my snacks and a couple of lunches, so it’s less planning at night during the week. I usually just bring fruit and/or a lunch item daily. Luckily, I have a small refrigerator in my office to hold all this stuff. I can only imagine what my teachers think when they see me lugging a grocery bag in on Mondays.

-Most days, I get up at 5 am to work out. Getting home at 6:00 in the evening is early for me, it's usually 7:00 or later, so if I don't workout first thing in the morning, it doesn't get done.

-I’m using Sparkpeople.com for an online nutrition tracker. It’s free and easy to use, so check it out if you are interested. Thanks to Buford Betty for turning me on to this site.

-I allow myself one "cheat meal" a week. This tip came from The Abs Diet, and I think that it helps me stay on track the rest of the week. I usually try to log some extra Wii time on the day I eat my cheat meal.

Well, I’m going to go now. This has turned into a pretty long post-sorry about that!

I'm looking forward to sharing this experience!

Mary Beth

4 comments:

Princess Freckles said...

Hi there! I like alot of your tips! I also allow one "cheat" meal a week. I just pump myself up for that whe I'm avoiding snacks or pushing for some extra reps at the gym.

Mary Beth said...

I'm glad that you liked them : )

Sandra said...

Great Post!!

hicktowndiva said...

Welcome, Mary Beth! Great tips, and it's fun to "meet" you!